“Grand Cru Classé”
Legend has it, that Chateau Talbot takes its name from an ancient British soldier. The potential candidate to have a St. Julien wine named after him is, Connetable Talbot. Talbot was also the governor of Guyenne. In 1453, he was killed during the battle in the fight at Castillon. Jumping ahead, just before the modern ear arrives, Chateau Talbot was owned by the Marquis d’Aux-Lally. Chateau Talbot remained in the hands of his direct descendants until the close of the 19th century. In 1917, the Cordier family bought Chateau Talbot. The Cordier family were well known in Bordeaux. They also owned another St. Julien estate, Chateau Gruaud Larose, as well as Chateau Cantemerle in Haut Medoc and Lafaurie Peyraguey in Sauternes. Lorraine Cordier and Nancy Bignon-Cordier, daughters of Jean Cordier own and manage Chateau Talbot today.
Over the past several years, the family has invested in improving the quality of their Left Bank wines as well as the vineyards and wine making facilities and barrel cellars. Wanting to take advantage of every possibility for making the most of their terroir at Chateau Talbot, they have two consultants, Stephane Derenoncourt and Jacques Boissenot. The improvement can be seen in increased quality of the wines from Chateau Talbot. The Bordeaux vineyard of Chateau Talbot occupies 102 hectares of vines in the Medoc in the St. Julien appellation. With that much land, Chateau Talbot has one of the largest vineyards in the Medoc. The gravel soils of Chateau Talbot is planted to 66% Cabernet Sauvignon, 26% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot and 3% Cabernet Franc. There is also a small section of land, about 5 hectares devoted to the production of white Bordeaux wine made from Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon. The white wine vines are planted to a cepage of 80% Sauvignon Blanc and 20% Semillon. The vines for the red wine are on average around 30 years old. The vineyard is planted to a vine density of 7,700 vines per hectare.