Château Haut-Bergey has a long history in the Bordeaux wine region dating all the way back to the 15th century. It started out life under the name of La maison noble de Pontey. Sir Jean-François de Cresse, a member the Bordeaux parliament, bought the estate in 1700. Within 24 months, he grew the Bordeaux vineyards to 100 hectares.
In March of 1991, Sylvaine Garcin-Cathiar, the granddaughter of a well known Bordeaux wine merchant, purchased the Château and turned the estate around. Today, the estate is managed by Helene Garcin Levesque.
The vineyards are located in the middle of the small village of Léognan with a majority planted in Cabernet Sauvignon followed by Merlot, with small plot dedicated to the production of Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon.